Item Number: PRI-START
Technology Integration: Computer, Visual Arts
Technology Skill: Graphics, Word Processing
Program: Paint, Google, Google Drawings
Includes: Computer Lessons for Beginners: Teacher Guide, Printable Student Workbook, Paperless Worksheets, Extension Activities
Handouts and Assessment Tools: TechnoStart Parent Letter, TechnoStart Certificate, Summary of Skills Checklist, License Checklist, Computer Operator License, Computer Detective Activity, Mouse and Touch Action Cards, Computer Parts Cards, Do's and Don'ts Cards, Sign In Cards, Spy Glass, Missing Keys on Keyboard, Match Tools, What is Wrong?
Samples: Assignment Samples, Me Samples
STEM Integration Lessons: visual arts with graphic technology skills and computer fundamentals
Assignment 1: What is a Computer?
Identify devices and describe computer use in daily life.
Assignment 2: About Parts of the Computer
Distinguish computer parts. Solve computer riddles.
Assignment 3: Get to Know the Mouse
Define mouse terminology related to common actions.
Assignment 4: Get to Know Touch Actions
Form a connection between finger movements and computer commands.
Assignment 5: Practice using Mouse or Touch Actions
Play the role of a detective. Find computer parts.
Assignment 6: About Computer Care
Classify a behavior as a do or don't.
Assignment 7: Show Good Behavior
Explore the paint program. Follow computer rules and exhibit appropriate conduct.
Assignment 8: Follow Rules for Printing
Paint a simple picture. Practice printing procedures.
Assignment 9: About the Keyboard
Identify keys on the keyboard such as the SHIFT key, ENTER key, and spacebar.
Assignment 10: Be the Fastest Typist in the World
Draw a text box and type letters. Format the font, font size, font style, and font color.
Assignment 11: Learn to Left and Right Click
Label how to perform left click and right click actions with a mouse or touch device.
Assignment 12: Left and Right Click to Make a Picture
Create artwork using left click and right click actions.
Assignment 13: About Saving your Work
Learn about saving options, naming a file, and avoiding lost work.
Assignment 14: Follow Rules for Saving
Manipulate digital art tools to produce a picture. Save the file.
Assignment 15: Open a Saved File and Make Changes
Open a saved file and make changes to include additional details.
Assignment 16: Earn a Computer Operator License
Rate ability to identify hardware, perform tasks, and show responsible behavior.
Optional Computer Lessons for Beginners
- Pick the Computer to Do the Job: Connect the task to the correct device.
- Play Computer Spy Game: Solve riddles to guess the computer part.
- Label It Input or Output: Circle if a computer part is input or output.
- Turn the Computer On and Sign In: Follow proper start up procedures.
- Sign Out or Shut Down the Computer: Follow sign out, shut down, or sleep procedures.
- Sign In and Out of Google Drive: Explore the Google Drive environment. (Google Apps only)
- Keep Your Files Safe: Understand how to keep a username and password secure.
- Pick Print Settings: Customize print settings in Paint. (Windows only)
- Make a Copy to Save Time: Make new pictures based on an original.