TechnoKids publishes a collection of technology projects with ready-made lessons. Each project includes a teacher guide, student workbook, and customizable resources. The instructional materials are ideal for computer instructors, classroom teachers, homeschool educators, media specialists, and librarians. Blend the project-based activities into an existing curriculum unit, combine technology projects to form a course, or teach a set of lessons as part of a workshop series.
What is a technology project?
TechnoKids Digital Literacy Curriculum is a collection of electronic books containing lessons and teacher resources. We call these instructional materials technology projects. A technology project is a set of activities that have students create a project such as a launching a business venture, publishing a report, coding a game, or building a website. A project is comprised of a Teacher Guide, Student Workbook, and Resource Files.
What is a Teacher Guide?
A Teacher Guide is a PDF document with detailed instructions on how to teach a project. This document includes preparatory steps, material lists, lesson plans, and answer keys. Please note, TechnoKids gives teachers more than what they may need. This is done to provide flexibility. Teachers should select the activities from the Teacher Guide that fit with their instructional time and meet the needs of students. The Teacher Guide is designed to be printed double-sided. However, it can also be viewed digitally.
What is a Student Workbook?
The Student Workbook is a collection of PDF assignments with illustrated step-by-step instructions. The Student Workbook is available in two formats: Complete Workbook and Individual Worksheets.
- Complete Workbook: This format is designed to be printed double-sided. Place the document in a binder as a reusable class set. Or print single use copies for each student to follow instructions and answer questions.
- Individual Worksheets: This format has each assignment separately. Control the pace of instruction by assigning a worksheet for each class session. Or challenge students working at a faster pace with optional enrichment activities. Worksheets can be printed or used digitally.
What are Resource Files?
Additional materials are included with each project. These resource files are needed to complete the project activities. Below is a description of each.
- Assessment Tools are marking sheets used to assess progress and evaluate learning. These files are customizable. Files include checklists, marking sheets, rubrics, quizzes, skill reviews, peer reviews, and self-assessment.
- Flashcards are enlarged pictures of program commands or coding blocks. They can provide a visual aid while teaching. These are available from TechnoHub.
- Handouts are any document that must be printed, photocopied, and distributed to each student. This often takes the form of a parent letter summarizing project activities or a certificate designed to celebrate student accomplishment. Files are available digitally to allow for modification.
- Samples are examples of a completed task. The teacher can use them for demonstration purposes.
- Template: A template is a file used to complete a task or assignment.
What is project based learning?
Project based learning is a unique approach to teaching technology skills. In many classrooms students learn how to use the computer by completing lessons focused on a software application, such as Introduction to Word Level 1. This can lack interest for students.
With our approach to learning students complete fun projects that focus on problem solving tasks. Students learn digital literacy skills gradually as they complete activities including publishing a report, animating a story, programming a game, or developing a website.
Project based learning is personally meaningful to students. Although everyone in the class is learning the same technology skill, each student selects a topic based on their interests. Learners can then apply their knowledge and creativity to produce original works. As a result, they are actively engaged and develop deeper understanding.