Okay, you have your downloaded project. Now what? You need a PDF viewer that will open TechnoKids files and allow students to type answers into worksheets.
Some TechnoKids project files such as the teacher guide, student workbook, and worksheets are in PDF format. They have been locked against digital editing but can be printed or viewed digitally. We have enabled commenting on these files to allow adding notes or answering questions. Refer to the sections below. Select the instructions that match your device.
Once you have a PDF Viewer, you may want to read the tips about opening TechnoKids files and/or typing answers into worksheets.
Windows Users | Install Adobe Acrobat Reader
If you are on a Windows device our PDF files are only viewable with Adobe Acrobat Reader XI or higher. Other PDF software will not open the files. You need Adobe Acrobat Reader. It is a free download:
- Visit Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Select Adobe Acrobat Reader to download.
- Follow the onscreen prompts to install the version for your operating system.
Step 3 View a Project Folder will describe the contents of a TechnoKids project. This will help you to understand the types of files. However, if you want to get started right away below are some tips for opening our PDF files.
>> How to open a PDF with Acrobat Reader
Option 1 | Set the Default PDF Reader
- Your default program for PDF files may not be set to Acrobat Reader. Browse to the location of the TechnoKids project folder. Locate a PDF such as the Teacher Guide.
- Right click on a TechnoKids PDF file. From the menu select Choose another app.
- Scroll through the list of programs and select Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Select the option to Always use this app to open .pdf files.
- Click OK.
- Now when you double click a TechnoKids PDF file it will automatically open in Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Option 2 | Open the File in Acrobat Reader
- From the Start menu , launch Adobe Acrobat Reader from the list of programs. If you do not see it in the list, visit Adobe Acrobat Reader.
- Click the File menu, choose Open.
- Browse to the location of the TechnoKids project folder. Locate a PDF such as the Teacher Guide.
- Click Open.
>> How to type in a PDF using Acrobat Reader
- Open a TechnoKids PDF file such as a student assignment sheet in Adobe Acrobat Reader. You will find them in the Workbook folder. TIP: Look in the downloaded TechnoKids project folder from Step 1. For example: int-biography > Office 2019 > TechnoBiography Resources > Biography > Workbook.
- From the right pane, click Comment or from the View menu select Tools - Comment - Open.
- The Comment toolbar will appear. Use the text comment or text box to type an answer or the drawing tool to make a checkmark or circle on the page.
- When done, do not forget to save changes.
Chrome Users | Install a PDF Extension, App, or Google Drive Add-on
TechnoKids PDF files can be opened in Google Docs. However, sometimes they lose their formatting. Using Google Docs to view TechnoKids PDFs is best suited for simple worksheets. To keep the page layout, we recommend using a Google Drive Add-on, such as Kami. Many schools have an IT administrator whose responsibility is to manage teacher and student Google accounts. You may need to gain permission before completing the steps below.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Visit the Chrome web store or Google Workspace Marketplace.
- Search for a PDF extension or Google Drive Add-on such as Kami or DocHub.
- Click Add to Chrome or Install.
- Follow the onscreen prompts.
>> How to open a PDF on a Chromebook
- If necessary, sign into your Google account.
- Browse to the location of the TechnoKids project folder.
TIP: You copied it into your Google Drive in Step 1 when you unzipped the downloaded files. The folder will be: category-project. Such as pri-me, jnr-timeline, or int-biography.
- Open the TechnoKids project folder and then open the Google folder. Locate a PDF such as the Teacher Guide (e.g. TechnoBiography Guide GS.pdf).
- How to Preview or Print the PDF: Double click a TechnoKids PDF file to open it in the web browser. You can preview or print the document.
- How to Open using an App or Drive Add-on: Double click a TechnoKids PDF file to open it in the web browser. Hover over the top bar to select Open with. Pick an option such as Annotate with Kami.
TIP: If you cannot see the Open with option return to Google Drive. Right click the TechnoKids worksheet (press ALT and the track pad at the same time). From the menu, select Manage in Drive.
TIP: If you do not see Kami (or the app you need), click Connect more apps. Search for a PDF annotator and follow the on-screen prompts to install it. You will likely need to sign in, to grant permission for Google Drive access. This will allow PDF files to be opened, edited, and saved.
- How to Open Directly into Chrome Extension:
If you installed a Chrome extension, click the Extensions tool at the top of the browser window and select it. You may be asked to sign into your Google account. Select Open from Google Drive. Select the TechnoKids PDF file to view and/or edit.
>> How to type in a web-based PDF
- If necessary, sign into your Google account.
- Locate a TechnoKids PDF file. For example, there are student worksheets in the Workbook folder.
TIP: Look in the downloaded TechnoKids project folder from Step 1. For example: int-biography > Google > TechnoBiography Resources > Biography > Workbook.
You may be asked to sign into your Google account again. You may also need to select Open from Google Drive and then pick the TechnoKids PDF file to edit.
Use the Text Box tool to type an answer or the Drawing tool to make a checkmark or circle on the page.
When done, click Save. Select Save Now.
If the menu states that the file failed to save, click the text and authorize Google Drive.
- How to Open using an App or Drive Add-on: Right click a TechnoKids PDF file (press ALT and the track pad at the same time). From the menu, select Open with. Pick an option such as Open with Kami.
- How to Open Directly into Chrome Extension: If you installed a Chrome extension, click the Extensions tool at the top of the browser window and select it from the options.