Item Number: INT-BUDGET
Technology Integration: Business Studies, Language Arts, Math, Visual Arts
Technology Skill: Graphics, Spreadsheet, Word Processing
Program: Excel Online, Google, Google Docs, Google Drawings, Google Sheets, Office 365 Online, Word Online
Financial Literacy Lessons, Google Sheets or Excel Activities: TechnoBudget Teacher Guide, Printable Student Workbook, Paperless Worksheets, Personal Finance Extension Activities
Money Management Handouts and Assessment Tools: TechnoBudget Parent Letter, TechnoBudget Certificate, Budget Skill Summary, Spreadsheet Checklist, Spreadsheet Marking Sheet, Report Marking Sheet
Personal Finance Sample Files: Spreadsheet Workbook, Budget Report, Idiom
Assignment 1: Money Management and You
Introduce budgeting and rate money management style.
Assignment 2: An Unexpected Windfall
Explain a practical reason for a financial windfall. Select budget categories.
Assignment 3: Discover Spreadsheets
Learn spreadsheet terminology and practice basic skills.
Assignment 4: Calculate your Budget
Divide a budget into categories. Use AutoSum to calculate totals.
Assignment 5: Create a Pie Graph and Edit the Budget
Create a pie graph. Adjust the budget based on the amount allocated for each category.
Assignment 6: Create a Spending Plan Worksheet
Design a spending plan table. Calculate taxes, track totals, and show overspending.
Assignment 7: Plan a Shopping Spree
Visit online stores. Make purchasing decisions and record information in the spending plan table.
Assignment 8: Use a Bar Graph to Summarize Spending Plan
Create a bar graph of the spending plan. Examine the allocation of funds.
Assignment 9: Spreadsheet Checklist
Complete a checklist to examine the content of the spreadsheet workbook.
Assignment 10: Justify Financial Choices in a Report
Use Google Docs or Word to write a report. Support reasoning with graphs.
Financial Literacy Activities to Teach Money Management Skills
- Compare Purchasing Options: Research to locate the best deal for an item.
- Use Functions to Analyze Spending: Calculate sum, average, minimum, maximum, count.
- Filter and Sort Data: Sort data alphabetically and numerically. Filter by condition or value.
- Category Comparison Table/Graph: If-then formulas, sheet and absolute cell references.
- Credit and Debt: Calculate the cost of borrowing and the time needed for repayment.
- Consumer Awareness: Rate corporate responsibility.
- Money Idioms: Use a drawing program to illustrate a popular saying about money.