It is true that most of the TechnoKids curriculum is written to work with the Microsoft Office series of programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access. The directions are quite specific, including pictures and step-by-step instructions. It would be somewhat difficult for students and teachers to follow the instructions using a comparable but not identical office suite.
The ability to alter the product is limited, making it difficult to alter the instructional materials to work with a different office suite. Although some of the files in the projects are customizable, such as the review activities, skill reviews, parent letters, certificates, and evaluation forms, the Teacher Guides and Student Workbooks are in PDF format and are not customizable. In fact, the site license agreement prohibits reverse engineering the product, which means that for the most part customizing the materials to another office suite is not possible.
However, some projects contain instructions that are transferrable to a different office suite. TechnoKids projects that teach spreadsheet skills are written for Microsoft Excel, but most spreadsheet software is similar. Directions, skills, and tools can be more easily identified and adapted to other programs.
It is important to note that TechnoKids curriculum support is only provided for Microsoft Office. TechnoKids does not offer curriculum support for other office suites.
There are TechnoKids projects that do not use Microsoft Office. These can be completed on any Windows computer:
- TechnoPainter uses Paint, which comes with Windows system software.
- TechnoStart introduces primary students to computers in general and teaches about mouse skills, computer parts, keyboarding, and computer care.
- TechnoDrama, TechnoCommercial, and TechnoProducer use Windows Movie Maker, which comes with Windows system software.
- TechnoJourney teaches junior students about the Internet, using Internet Explorer.
- TechnoHTML teaches intermediate students how to make a web page from HTML coding, using Notepad and Internet Explorer.
Each of the above projects is described in more detail on our website.