It’s here! TechnoKids’ all-new project TechnoSite makes it simple for students to become creative and competent web designers.
In this project, students use Google Sites to construct a professional looking, multi page website. Incorporating their own content, images, and links, they create a website that includes links to fun places for kids on the World Wide Web. Along the way, they learn how to become website critics, rate the quality and safety of popular sites, and develop essential search strategies.
It has never been easier to quickly create a custom website. With a free Google account, not only do students have access to Docs, Sheets, and Slides apps (and more!) but Google Sites as well. Use the templates, themes, and familiar tools to build fun and engaging web pages. Collaborate online with peers. Then publish and share information and ideas with classmates, a team, club, or interest group. Pick a topic and you’re ready to design!
What Can You Do with Google Sites?
TechnoSite gives students the building blocks of a website. Following illustrated, detailed instructions in the Student Workbook, they can use Google Sites to:
- apply a theme to have a consistent, professional looking design
- create a banner and pick a background image
- use suggested layouts to arrange information
- add text, images, dividers, hyperlinks, and hotspots
- incorporate video
- include a logo
- design a photo gallery
- insert an Image Carousel
- position a navigation bar
- and lots more!
What Will Students Learn Using TechnoSite?
Before beginning to build their website, students are introduced to the World Wide Web. They master internet terminology such as web browser and home page. They learn how to critique websites using standard criteria: navigation ease, appearance, content, and safety. Then a rating scale is applied to decide if the sites may earn their “Kid Stamp of Approval”. Students also become Super Searchers as they compare search engines, scan and filter results, and try different keyword phrases.
TechnoSite integrates a variety of learning skills as student build their websites. Following is a condensed selection from the Skill Summary included in the Assessment Tools in the project:
- use appropriate keywords to locate information using search engines
- determine whether a website is appropriate for children
- collaborate with a peer to improve the quality of a website
- organize research using a planner
- describe a website to summarize the content and entice visitors to click on the link
- reflect upon the web design process
- use keyword suggestions to locate resources on the Internet
- scan search results to discern the website that is the best match
- analyze the results of different search engines
Web Design Skills
- customize design using a banner, theme, and images
- insert text, images, dividers, and video
- insert and test hyperlink and hotspots
What Is Included in TechnoSite?
When you purchase TechnoSite, everything teachers need to complete the project and teach students to build a website is included in the resources:
- Teacher Guide in pdf format for printing or viewing
- Student Workbook in pdf format for printing or viewing
- Assessment Tools: Student Checklists and Teacher Marking Sheet and Skill Summary
- Sample Websites using Google Sites
- Reviews, Skill Reviews, and Extension Activities to support learning
You’re ready. Order and download TechnoSite today and your students will become skilled web designers tomorrow!