NEW! TechnoTales Coding Activities for Beginners
TechnoTales is a new STEM project by TechnoKids Inc. It includes coding activities for beginners. Primary and elementary students in Grades 2-4 follow the detailed instructions to create a modern fairy tale using Scratch Jr. They learn how to build scripts to animate the story action.
Blend Creative Writing With Coding
The lessons in TechnoTales guide students through the writing process. The project begins with an exercise that forms a connection between storytelling and scripts. Next, students answer questions about an example fairy tale to recognize the story elements. Once familiar with the task, they use a planning sheet to select the setting, characters, and plot. Afterwards, step-by-step instructions explain how create the story pages. A checklist is used to help students review the completed fairy tale to make revisions. Upon completion, the Techno Tale is shared with viewers.
Storytelling and Coding Activities for Beginners
TechnoTales gradually introduces students to programming concepts. Each story page applies a different coding technique:
|Page 1 – Once Upon a Time: Introduce the problem in the story. Animate the hero embarking on a quest using Motion and Looks blocks.|
|Page 2 – Find a Hidden Item: Engage the viewer. Tap objects on the story page to reveal a hidden item that will help the hero.|
|Page 3 – Get Help: Seek someone that will help to solve the problem. Count the number of steps to produce an animated sequence that triggers an event when characters bump each other.|
|Page 4 – Happily Ever After: Create the story ending. Send and receive messages to show the characters celebrating.|
Download Scratch Jr to Complete TechnoTales
To use the coding activities in TechnoTales you must have Scratch Jr installed on your devices. Scratch Jr is a free coding app for iPad, Android tablets, and Chromebooks. The interface is designed specially for children. To introduce programming concepts, colored blocks are sequenced together to form scripts. It is fun and easy to build interactive stories, animated scenes, and games.
Teach Coding to Kids Using TechnoTales Instructional Resources
When you purchase TechnoTales, you will receive:
- Teacher Guide: Detailed instructions for teaching a coding unit provide tips and strategies.
- Student Workbook: Digital worksheets with screenshots and illustrated scripts support learning.
- Example Videos: Sample fairy tales created with Scratch Jr help students gain an understanding of the task and spark inspiration.
- Scratch Jr Flashcards: Large colored or black and white coding blocks can be used to build scripts as a visual aid.
- Review Questions: Multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, or short answer questions assess knowledge of Scratch Jr tools and scripts.
- Skill Reviews: Optional activities solidify learning by transferring skills to a new coding project.
- Assessment Tools: Customizable checklists and marking sheets evaluate the fairy tale.
- Extension Activities: Enrichment lessons challenge students to expand their coding skills.
- Offline Coding Exercises: Board game that applies computational thinking to have a player complete a quest.