What Is the Secret to a Successful BYOD Program?
Nothing is worse than launching a BYOD initiative that fails. Don’t let that happen to you! Take the time and do things right. To have a successful BYOD program you should:
- Establish a reliable infrastructure.
- Develop a policy that outlines accepted devices, restricted devices, authorized use, infractions, consequences, and responsibilities of stakeholders.
- Form a lending library to ensure an equitable learning environment.
- Supply adequate storage facilities.
- Provide charging stations.
- Select a learning management system.
- Incorporate the use of devices and web apps in staff meetings.
- Offer professional development.
- Have students and parents read policy and sign an agreement form.
- Launch a pilot program. Make participation voluntary.
- Post instructions for connecting devices to the network.
- Post signs around the school to illustrate if the area is approved for device usage.
- Initiate a digital citizenship awareness campaign.
- Display classroom rules for using devices.
- Use web apps to create consistency.
- Use the devices regularly during instruction.
- Review BYOD continuously and make modifications to the initiative.