A Simple Trick to Creating a Google Classroom Assignment
There is a simple trick to creating a Google Classroom assignment. Determine the type of assignment before you create it in Google Classroom. Files that are part of an assignment can be set to either students can view file or make a copy for each student. Understanding the difference between these two options is the key to success.
- Students Can View File: The Students can view file setting allows students to open a file attachment ONLY. They cannot edit the file. It is best suited to instruction sheets or example files.
- Make a Copy for Each Student: The Make a copy for each student setting produces a unique file for each student in the class. The teacher can see everyone’s work, whereas the student can only access their own personal copy. Apply this setting to question sheets or templates.
TIP: Create a Google Classroom assignment from the Classwork tab in Google Classroom. It provides the Make a copy for each student option. Do not use the Announcements tab as this setting is not available.
Questions to Ask Before Making a Google Classroom Assignment
To start, study the flowchart. It illustrates the type of TechnoKids files you may want to attach to an assignment.
Answer these questions to make a decision:
- Are there step-by-step instructions only in the assignment? – students can view file
- Does the assignment include questions students must answer?- make a copy for each student
- Will students require a template to produce unique work? – make a copy for each student
- Does the assignment require a sample that students view? – students can view file
- Does the assignment have students begin with a blank Google Apps file? – make a copy for each student
Google Classroom Support
If you are teaching a TechnoKids technology project using Google Classroom refer to the Google Classroom Support page for assistance. It outlines step-by-step how to create an assignment. There are helpful tips for setting file properties, converting files into a Google Apps native format, and more!
Our Most Popular Google Technology Project
Every day teachers download TechnoRestaurateur from TechnoHub. They then upload the technology project into their Class Drive folder to set up student assignments. The TechnoKids instructional materials allow them to quickly design a course. By using resources that are already designed such as assignment sheets, examples, templates, and assessment tools they can use their existing Google Classroom to teach a spreadsheet, financial literacy, or entrepreneurship curriculum unit.