Read Aloud for PDF Files
If you have students who have difficulty reading or students who are not proficient in written English, you can covert the text to speech in a PDF file.
You have two options to have the PDF read aloud.
Use Adobe Reader TEXT TO SPEECH
- Open the PDF file in Adobe Reader DC.
- Go to the page you want read.
- From the View menu select READ OUT LOUD. Click ACTIVATE READ OUT LOUD.
- From the View menu select READ OUT LOUD. Click READ THIS PAGE ONLY (SHIFT + CTRL+ C is used to Pause/Resume).
TIP: Once you activate READ THIS PAGE ONLY you can select any paragraph to have it read aloud. Be sure to download the latest version – Adobe Reader DC – to ensure that the feature will work.
Use the Chrome Extension Speak It
- Get the Speak It Extension here.
- To have TechnoKids PDF file read aloud, post it to your Google Drive.
- Have students open the file using Kami. (To find out more about the Kami extension, watch this video.)
- Select the text.
- Click the SPEAK IT symbol in the TOP RIGHT corner of the browser window.
TIP: This is a great extension that will read any web-based text.